The benefits of multi-vitamin supplements has been studied by many scientific groups. The overall result is that there are significant benefits to taking a daily multi-vitamin. Multi-vitamin supplements can help reduce the risk of diseases, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and improve your eye health as you age. A daily multi-vitamin is a cheap way to make sure you are getting the best nutrients along with a healthy diet. Only 40% of adults in America take a daily multi-vitamin. This could mean that the other 60% are missing out on some real health benefits.
A healthy diet is the first step to making sure your body is getting the right nutrients. 90% of Americans get less than the recommended amount of Vitamins D and E from their diet alone. A multi-vitamin is good for you, but it must be accompanied by a healthy diet for the maximum benefits. Eating vegetables and fruits, along with proper protein intake can significantly reduce the chance of common diseases. Heart disease has always been a big killer. It can be battled with the right diet and healthy choices, like not smoking or eating bad foods.
Most of us want to eat healthy, but even the healthiest eaters, may have gaps in their vitamin intake and multi-vitamins can help to supplement this intake. Folic acid is a huge benefit that can come from a multi-vitamin and it can help prevent birth defects and certain types of cancers. Aging related illnesses and diseases can also be prevented by good nutrition and getting the right amounts of certain vitamins.
There is a possibility of getting too much of a good thing when it comes to your vitamin and nutritional intake. Vitamin Supplements with the word “Mega” in them are not a good idea. There is not a need to go overboard with vitamins and minerals. Most normal multi-vitamins have everything you need in them. Talk to your medical doctor and get some blood work done before starting a vitamin and mineral regimen. Your blood work could tell your doctor exactly what you are missing. There are risks with taking multi-vitamins, but the benefits in most people outweigh the risk.
Some people are advised if they have a family or personal history of cardiovascular or cancer to take an extra vitamin or mineral onto their multi-vitamin. Vitamin E and Garlic are popular amount cardiovascular patients. The B Vitamins are commonly recommended for energy issues, such as people suffering from depression, stress, or fatigue. Vitamin B supplements are also strongly recommended for people over the age of 50.
Don’t get suckered into paying big bucks for vitamins. There are companies out there claiming to be able to create custom vitamin supplements for people. While some of these may be beneficial, the basic multi-vitamin is affordable and effective. Taking these so called, custom vitamins, can be harmful if they are giving you too much of something you do not really need. If you want to start any vitamin regimen, talk to your doctor first. They may have some recommendations if you are wanting to go with the custom vitamin route. They can also recommend the best amino acid supplement for you.
Your doctor can help you decide which vitamins are right for your body, but in the meantime, a multi-vitamin once a day won’t hurt anything.